Class of membership
Class of membership applied :
- Member (Article 4)
The applicant shall satisfy the Council that he is a fit and proper person in respect of his character and qualifications as follows;
- he has not been found guilty of any criminal offence within 3 years preceding his application as a member of the Institute;
- has any of the following qualifications;
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology.
- Bachelors degree in Medical Laboratory Technology / Medical Laboratory Science / Biomedical Science.
- Any other qualifications which the council deem to be equivalent.
- Fellow (Article 5)
The applicant shall have fulfilled any of the following qualifications;
- obtained a Masters degree in any discipline related to medical laboratory sciences acceptable by the Council; or
- passed the prescribed examination conducted by the Institute; or
- submitted a thesis of reasonable length pertaining to medical laboratory sciences which shows evidence of originality acceptable by the Council; or
- submitted a resume of his collated publications on medical laboratory sciences of a standard acceptable by the Council.
- Affiliate (Article 6)
The application is opened to persons who do not posses the necessary qualifications of a member. (Please see above).
- The applicant shall have satisfied the Council that he is a fit and proper person in respect of his character and that he has not been found guilty of any criminal offence within 3 years preceding his application.
- The affiliate member of the Institute shall be entitled to;
- be present at the annual general meeting or extraordinary general meeting of the Institute but shall have no right to vote at such meetings.
- be appointed to any committee formed by the Council.
- Registered Student (Article 11)
- Application to be a Registered Student shall be made to the Council in a prescribed form provided by the Institute;
- He shall, at the time of application, be an enrolled full time student of Medical Laboratory Technology, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Biomedical Sciences and other Medical Laboratory Science related courses in an Institute recognized by the Council;
- A Registered Student shall automatically cease to be a Registered Student of the Institute on passing the final qualifying examination or when he is no longer a bona fide full time student;
- It shall be the responsibility of a Registered Student to inform the Council as soon as he has passed the qualifying examination or ceased to be a student;
- A Registered Student shall be entitled to be present at the annual general meeting or extraordinary general meeting of the Institute but shall have no right to vote at such meeting.
Please see the full terms and conditions, requisite to the applications at the back page of the Application Form.